So, this weekend I totally became a farmer, Duckies. And by "became a farmer" I mean that I planted some vegetables for the first time in my life, and I count that as farming, because what's the difference, really? Farmers plant things and then harvest their crops. I planted some stuff, and I'll be harvesting it later... Totally makes sense to me.
Anyway, I'm super proud of my little farm. Check it out!:
So, hopefully in a few months, I'll have some delicious veggies to munch on. Ironically, I planted them the day before I leave for Chicago for a week, but that's what loving landlords are for, right? They've graciously agreed to water the garden while I'm away, which is why they're awesome.
Other things I've discovered while
- When you ask one the the chefs that you work with at a restaurant to help you start your garden, do not assume that because he deals with gross, dead animals all day that he will be totally fine with putting his hands in the compost that you've been building up for the past few months. Old banana peels and eggshells will freak him out - even though he's totally willing to hold a CALF HEART in his bare hands, cook it, and then EAT that baby animal's heart.
- Garden stores are really hard to find. Actually, I just have no idea where I'm going most of the time.
- There really are plants called "Gordy the Gourd" and you will always regret not buying him.
- Your chef friend is also afraid of bees. Have the camera ready.
- All farming is best done with rock and roll blasting for the whole neighborhood to hear. They're taste in music needs improvement anyway, since they usually just blast "POKER FACE" all morning long to the point where all you can think about is punching yourself in the throat for two hours straight. YEAH, I'M TALKING TO YOU, HOUSE-RIGHT-BEHIND-ME.
In other news, I'm leaving for Chicago today, so that's all sorts of awesome! I'll be flying out there to be an awesome aunt and help take care of my niece while my sister goes back to work. So, the next time you see me, I'll be posting from the windy city!!
Have a great Monday, Duckies!!